My hometown McDonalds has more business than it knows what to do with – especially at breakfast. And I know why. You want the secret to how this McDonalds is making money while everyone else is struggling? Here it is . . . A-N-N.
No, that’s not an acronym and it’s not a special code. It’s the name of a woman who works the drive-thru every morning and understands what true customer service is all about. What does Ann do that makes her so special? Here’s a list:
1. She smiles at everybody and says “good morning, honey.” Even the “honey” works, because her greeting is so sincere.
2. She asks for and remembers names. Then she uses your name the next time she sees you.
3. She notices small, personal things. For a long time my husband and I went through the drive-thru together each morning. The first time he was absent, she said “Where’s your husband this morning?” That made me feel like we were a little closer to family than client.
4. She notices when you’ve been gone. “Where’ve you been honey? I haven’t seen you for a while.” Those words make you feel like you’re missed, and suddenly the last thing you want to do is disappoint Ann by being gone too long.
5. She always says “thank you.” Ann always lets you know that she appreciates your business, but more importantly, she lets you know that she loves to see you every single morning.
6. She treats every customer the same way. I watch Ann with the cars ahead of me and behind me, and I see the same kind of interaction with every client. I see them pull up to the window frustrated and hurried, and then I see Ann take their money and make them smile all at the same time. Ann doesn’t play favorites, but she makes every customer feel as if they are her favorite.
7. She values your time. While Ann talks with every person that goes through the drive-thru, she uses only the time allotted before the car in front of you moves up. When that happens, she quickly says “Now you take care” to let you know it’s time to move on.
So, my McDonalds isn’t just another fast-food place. It’s the place where Ann lives every weekday morning, and Ann makes us all feel like family. She makes the golden arches truly feel golden. How’s that for customer service?