Today I want to dance (if you want to dance too, click on my links). So I’m listening to Joy to the World by Three Dog Night and Last Train to Clarksville by The Monkees. I admit it; I was a huge Davy Jones fan. In fact, I went to a Monkees reunion tour when I was in my late thirties. I was staying composed listening to Gary Puckett and The Union Gap, but then The Monkees came on stage.
I sat beside my friends clapping and smiling. Then Davy Jones came on stage. I had no control. I ran down to the railing, jumped up and down, and lost my mind. I looked like one of those groupies from the old Beatles news clips, grabbing my hair and screaming with a look of desperate love on my face.
Where did that come from? I have no idea, but it felt great until the large woman eating popcorn (who eats popcorn at a concert?) asked me to please sit down because she couldn’t see around me. Suddenly, I realized I wasn’t at the concerts of my youth and that eating and sitting took priority over screaming and adoring.
Here’s the deal – Dames need to dance. Every day. Even if you’re in a cubicle, just put on your headphones, and dance for five minutes. There are a variety of reasons for dancing, not that you need one. Here are a few reasons:
- You just read a book on menopause and realized you’re transitioning from peach to prune. Dance anyway.
- Your kids just told you that your generation was on the way out. Dance anyway.
- The apples you just picked up for your diet snack are mealy and bruised. Dance anyway.
- You mistook your toothpaste for your Vagisil. Rinse thoroughly, and dance anyway.
- While putting on your mascara you sneezed. Now you look like a demented clown. Dance anyway.
- The woman you supported at work just stabbed you in the back. Dance anyway. Without weapons.
All Dames need to dance. Put on The Go-Go’s, or Rock Lobster, or Lord of the Dance. Whatever gets you going. Here’s a little Michael Flatley for you so you can dance like crazy. And, please, tell me why you need to dance today! [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwC4LtmTnKw[/youtube]